Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Penne di Pollo al Sugo Bianco

"Penne di Pollo al Sugo Bianco" .. This American version of pasta with chicken in a white cream sauce has been around for quite a few years. I have always enjoyed it but, wanted to update the recipe and "tweak" it a bit by building flavors in not only the sauce but the protein as well. So for starters, I smoked the chicken with a subtle cherry smoke. Pulled and sliced it, then incorporated into my take on this rich and tasty pasta dish.
Stars of the ingredient list included onion, garlic, pancetta, cream, asiago, smoked chicken and my Mia Piccola Cucina housemade penne rigate.
The richness of the white sauce married nicely with the lightly smoked chicken. It's a dance of sorts, too much smoke and it kills the sauce, too much cheese or pancetta and it kills the chicken. This is where the cook needs to rely on his/her experience and taste each and every step of the process. I knew I didn't want a strong smoky flavor for the bird, but I also knew I wanted that background hint of it. This is where experience will tell you the right wood to choose and the right smoking time.
The sauce, star of most Italian recipes, is my riff on classic Alfredo by steaming heavy cream before adding asiago and seasonings. The key when combining the ingredients together, is to constantly taste .. especially in recipe development .. This way you will know to add more as you go because you can never add less!
Pairing wine with this dish was near perfect by choosing 2010 Cristina Ascheri Gavi DOCG. The wine is a pale gold color with brassy highlights. The nose is fairly rich, with honeydew melon and delicate floral accents. I'd say quite pleasant. On the palate, it's full with that honeydew melon supported by clean acidity that flows into nice finish. It's not as acidic as some Gavis and drank very well with my Penne di Pollo al Sugo Bianco.
It's fun for me to update classic Italian/American dishes and this one was no exception! Look for the recipe in my upcoming cookbook. It will be a hit with you and yours.

See this and more by visiting and "liking" me at facebook.com/TheBaldChefCooks
Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment