Friday, March 21, 2014

Abita Brewing Company's Turbodog


I had the chance to try Abita Brewing Company's "Turbodog" Ale tonight at Easy Street Cafe (soon to become Craft Corner???) in Powell. Turbodog is a dark English-styled brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts, then fermented with German Alt yeast. The combination gives it a rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor.

Being an English Brown Ale, I wanted to let this beer warm up a bit before drinking. So when the server brought it to me I let it sit until my main course arrived. The hops aroma definitely became apparent as it warmed up.

Turbodog's taste was reminiscent of molasses, coffee and caramel malts. It also had a mild spicy hop bitterness.

The brew pairs well with most meats and is great served with hamburgers or sausages .. I paired mine with a flavorful "Greek Gyro" and it's depth proved a great choice to stand up to both the gaminess of the lamb as well as the richness of the tzatziki sauce.

Read more on facebook.com/BaldFoodie

No comments:

Post a Comment