Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Cola Carnitas Mini Tacos


Over the past several weeks, I have been mini-obsessing or should I say obsessing over minis .. Mini Tacos that is. There is nothing more satisfying than tiny 2-bite morsel that is huge on flavor.
Pork dishes are always on my menu. Smoked, grilled, pan-seared, roasted .. you name it. But braising could be my absolute favorite way of cooking pork. Long, slow and low .. yeah, that's the ticket! For this recipe, I decided to braise my pork in a liquid most people drink with great tacos, cola, and in this case .. Pepsi-Cola! Cola offers up sweet and caramelly notes that enhance the sweetness of the pork.
My cola braising liquid was a little spicy with the addition of garlic, ginger and chili. Browning the meat on all sides first, then the cola bath in my "Dutch Oven" and baked for several hours until the meat drops off the bone.
Reducing the strained liquid, I ended up with a sticky, spicy, sweet sauce that married perfectly with toppings. Speaking of which, I added my housemade red cabbage and carrot slaw using my old family's restaurant Farmlad recipe. The slaw is a mayo/mustard mix that adds just the right amount of acidity to the pork.
Next comes one of my favorite Mexican cheeses .. Cotija! This white, fresh and salty cow's milk cheese bears a resemblance to feta. However, with aging it becomes hard and crumbly like Parmigiano-Reggiano. Its similarity has earned it the nickname "Parmesan of Mexico". Crumbling just the right amount of this cheese boosts the flavor immensely!
Then the sauces .. first is my "Avocado Crema" then my "Árbol Chili Creme". Both contrast each other with smooth and mellow flavors with that fresh avocado hint and árbol chili bite. The mini morsel was then topped my home grown "spring onions". The end result is a hyper flavorful bite.
I always pair my dishes with some adult beverage, but I want to pay homage to the braising liquid, so I recommend popping a can of Pepsi.

I hope you are enjoying my "Mini Taco Adventures", there are plenty more in store this summer!

See this and more onfacebook.com/TheBaldChefCooks


No comments:

Post a Comment