Sunday, July 12, 2015

Fried "Lake Erie Perch"


I must say, one of my absolute favorite things to prepare and eat is the incredibly tasty Lake Erie Yellow Perch. These cousins of the walleye are, in my humble opinion, the tastiest freshwater fish that we have here in Ohio.
Simply filleted, lightly dusted with seasoned flour and fried up crisp and quick in a cast iron "chicken fryer". Couple them with my old family's restaurant's (Farmlad) signature Tartar Sauce and Cole Slaw and you end up with a perfect meal. A thing of shore lunches and fish fry in my family for decades.

Keeping it simple is the realm of perch eating. My simple dredge consists of all-purpose flour, sea salt, black pepper, paprika along with garlic and onion powders. Things I'll bet everyone has in their pantry. No milk, no batter, just dust the filets in the flour mixture, shake them off and put them in the oil (365F) .. super simple!
Lake Erie is one of greatest resources we have in America. Being one of the smallest of the Great Lakes, Erie produces more fish than the other four combined and the yellow perch is without a doubt my favorite.
If you're close to Erie this summer, I encourage you to book a "Perch Charter" and catch your own, if not, some of the better markets carry these tender morsels during the summer months. Pick up a few pounds and have a fish fry. You'll love it .. your family and friends will love it because it's about as good as it gets!

Keeping traditions simple and tasty on http//www.facebook.com/TheBaldChefCooks 
#thebaldchefcooks

No comments:

Post a Comment