Thursday, October 30, 2014

British Banger


"British Banger" .. What would it be if I left out sausage on "Ground Meats Week"? Take heart .. I didn't! Of course I'm showing you the "pre-cooked" items, but I assure you, these tasty morsels will be even more beautiful when I cook them next week!

I chose to put my spin on traditional British Bangers by incorporating a couple twists into an otherwise regular British recipe. But first, a bit of history. The name "Banger" comes from the fact that the sausages used to "explode" or bang when they were cooking. Real pork casings often allows pressure to build up inside the skin leading to a minor explosion and there you have it.

My sausage recipe contains 4 pounds of lean pork shoulder and 1 1/2 pounds of pork fat. Pork Fat Rules! I use a combination of traditional spices including white & black pepper, mace, kosher salt, ginger, sage and nutmeg. For this recipe, I also included garlic and fresh oregano.

The key to any fresh sausage is to grind it cold twice and then whip it using a stand mixer. This gives the sausage that density to remain intact when cutting after cooking. It's the exact opposite of making meatballs and meat loafs where you don't over work it so that are light and airy.

I hope you get a kick out of seeing my house made Bangers! I know I love making and eating them!
Good Eating!

See more on facebook.com/TheBaldChefCooks

No comments:

Post a Comment