Friday, June 27, 2014

Cowboys Beans


Yeeeeeehawwwwww .. It's "Cowboys Beans" tonight! If you're at all like me .. you get a "hankerin'" for some down home American food. I did this afternoon so I decided to whip up some "Trail Food".

"Cowboy" or "Trail Beans" have a mixed history. Some say THIS is what cowboys ate, but I doubt they had the ability to carry all the ingredients of modern recipes.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with altering a base recipe with modern components to make this a "go-to" dish whenever "ya git a cravin'".

My recipe includes ground chuck (single grind) a whole pound of bacon, onions, chili, cumin, molasses, brown sugar, tomato paste, cayenne pepper, mustard powder and just to kick it up even further .. red pepper flakes. 

Then the beans .. I'm a huge fan of utilizing my entire bean pantry making dishes like this. Beans included were, Navy, Pinto, Red Kidney, Butter and finally Black beans. Each have a distinct texture which make the meal a mouthful of wonder with the firmness of Butter beans, the slight pop of the Red Kidneys and the creaminess of the Pinto beans. Add crunchy bacon mixed in the sweet spicy sauce .. Hang on I need another bowl!


See this "classic" American dish and more on 

No comments:

Post a Comment