Saturday, September 27, 2014

2009 "Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico"


Thursday I had the honor to attend a wine tasting at the Columbus Italian Club. We tasted a number of wines and I thought I would share my experiences with you.

Today, it's the 2009 "Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico". The wine shows excellent weight and depth to match its expressive dark red fruit. 

I would describe it as ruby red with deep intensity and hue. Fruity, fine and elegant aromas dominated by wild berries accompanied by various spicy notes. Fruity on the palate with good tannins, but not over powering. 

This red evokes tar, black cherry, woodlands and tobacco flavors. They're all held together by those dense, fine tannins. Oak spice emerges on the taut and lingering finish. 

This wine is probably one you want to cellar for any length of time, but will drink beautifully for at least a handful of years. Hints of earthiness and tar add to an impression of gravitas in this vintage. 

All in all, I enjoyed Felsina's version of one of my favorite varietals.

A solid 7 out of 10!

*under $20


No comments:

Post a Comment