Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ohio Style Shredded Chicken Sandwich with Amish Potato Salad


"Ohio Style Shredded Chicken" Sandwich with "Amish Potato Salad" .. I was torn what to do with so much "leftover" roast chicken, when it hit me. Why not pay homage to my family's restaurants and to my family roots nestled in the "Tri-County" area of NE Ohio .. Stark .. Holmes .. Tuscarawas Counties.

I literally grew up in restaurants .. back in the day, my father started a "mini-chain" of 3 drive-in chicken and burger joints called "Farmlad". It was based on farm fresh produce prepared daily for the "Average Joe" as he put it. There were loads of innovations at our drive-ins .. Fast "Fried Chicken" before Colonel Sanders ever ventured north. Double, Triple and Quad Hamburgers and Cheeseburgers with "the works" in the 60's .. and on and on! 

One of our most popular sammies was one that was born in this German influenced region of NE Ohio .. the "Hot Buttered Shredded Chicken Sandwich". For those who've never heard nor seen one of these .. imagine a "sloppy joe" with shredded chicken and butter sauce instead of ground beef and tomato sauce. Is it tasty? Well .. once you have a good one, you'll toss rocks at sloppy joes!

The "Shredded Chicken" sandwich has been a mainstay of poor people that stretched the protein by utilizing "picked" chicken carcasses and creating a substantial sandwich that is the heartbeat of anyone in the area over 40 years old. 

I coupled my take on "Farmlad's" classic sandwich with my Mom's "Amish Potato Salad" recipe and adding a few twists of my own. 

I hope you enjoy my trip down memory lane .. even if you haven't ever tried this dish!

See more on facebook.com/BaldFoodie


Good Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment